Interior Design & Placemaking
Our top flagship program
This Mini-Master program will give participants - under the supervision of the BAU IAR team of dedicated experts of visual storytelling, branding strategies and viral marketing - the opportunity to conduct an experimental application of all the latest key trends and discoveries in Made in Italy interior design and placemaking.
Learn how to design a space with an outstanding identity
The 21st century interior designer is a personal coach, a brand strategist, a visual expert, a researcher, a bridge across cultures… The most valuable outcome of this program is to train a new generation of creative people able to design spaces reflecting the client’s soul, the brand values, the users’ needs, the market requirements and the company’s goals. Nowadays designers must be able to provide not just the trendiest selection of furniture, lights, materials and colors, but the perfect space and environment to make the mission and the vision of their clients be successfully conveyed to their target audience.
With our program you will learn how to design your interiors and a distinctive identity and personality for your (client’s) place, by applying all the latest trends:
- LESS IS MORE. New design needs to be intuitive, with frills kept to a minimum
- IDENTITY. Clients want their places to communicate their distinctive identity and personality
- FOCUS ON THE EXPERIENCE. People want superior estethics coupled with functionality and perceive that design is not just to make them buy, but to actually enhance their overall experience
- WHAT’S OLD IS NEW AGAIN. Many brands are recuperating their classic designs, shapes and materials that provide the feeling they have an old history, an heritage and a distinctive personality
- DESIGN FROM WITHIN. People are growingly aware that by buying a brand, they are endorsing and participating of the success of this brand, so want to know everything about sources, materials, values, resources, practices, and are growingly sensitive to environmental issues and compliance of production processes, resources and materials with sustainable practices
What will I learn?
Participant will learn how to IDEATE, PROTOTYPE AND TEST A SPACE, with a studio design module of 90 hours under the supervision of our staff of dedicated designers and strategists.
- Work on design projects gathering people from different backgrounds
- Think, discuss and design requirements related to functionality, esthetics and sustainability with three different applications: retail, hospitality and wellness
- Learn how to design structures and spaces with a distinctive personality, able to ensure the best possible interaction between final user and infrastructure with an awareness of the most recent trends in colours, materials, finishing and lighting technologies
Also, in the 10-week program, they will have the opportunity to study Italian language and culture and complete 4 out of the following electives:
- ART, FASHION & DESIGN (42hrs). From the idea to the product, the impact of art, the culture of the renaissance workshop, the multiple layers of Rome and its eternity upon Italian design style and technique
- ITALIAN ENTREPRENEURSHIP & INNOVATION (42hrs). The critical success factors of the Made in Italy brand in the production process of products, materials, lighting and technologies, the experience of the clusters and micro-multinational brands
- COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES FOR DESIGN PROJECTS (42hrs). The essentials of PR and social media management, new techniques for successful trend-spotting and branding in order to ensure participants’ ability to communicate and promote at a professional level their design projects to the targeted audience
- VISUAL STORYTELLING (42hrs). How to use visuals to tell the story of your brand and convey emotions to your client
The course includes conferences held by well-known professional of design field, visits to major material producers, showrooms, cultural events and companies.
- Introduction to the course, definition and explanation of the course objectives
- Discussions on design, projects and tasks allocation, group formation
- Interior Design trends, lessons from the Made in Italy brand
- Ideation, related readings and research
From the 5th week participants will select for their studio project one application out of the three most important fields of interior design: Retail, Hospitality and Wellness. Projects will simulate real professional approach: brief, development, presentation
- Ideation and project critiques related readings, researches and project sketches
- Ideation and project critiques related readings, researches and project sketches, communication campaign 1st draft
- Project critiques preparation for the jury production of scaled working drawings and prototypes
- Project critiques and preparation for the jury production of the scaled working drawings / prototype
- Project critiques, preparation for the final jury
- Production of the scaled working drawing/prototype, preparation for the final jury
- Pre-jury with final draft of drawings/prototypes and communication campaign
- Final jury presentations
Upon successful completion of this program participants will learn how to:
Apply professional knowledge to the fields of interior design and placemaking
Understanding, use, interpret and evaluate innovative materials and products in the interior design field
Collect information, resources and materials
Identify the problems of Made in Italy Design, evaluating the conditions and requirements of problems and proposing solutions
Develop appropriate solutions with the consideration of social, cultural, environmental, economic and humanistic values
Communicate their design idea through written, oral and visual methods
Identify and apply appropriate relations among materials, shapes and final use of your design projects
Use computer aided information, visual aids and new media technologies for the expression and communication of your design projects
Use a foreign language to communicate your ideas
Apply a hands-on awareness of business life practices such as change management, entrepreneurship, innovation, and sustainable development
Program intakes and duration
10-week program, 250 contact hours
Possibility of 8-week internship upon successful completion of the program, free of charge for the 3 best candidates and available for the other participants upon request, availability and payment of a 300 € fee.
SPRING 6 February/26 May
SUMMER 5 June /11 August
*A shortest version of 120 hours in Placemaking or Interior Design only, is also available.
4-week program, 120 contact hours
SPRING 20 March up to 14 April
SUMMER 26 June up to 21 July
At the end of this program the 3 best qualified students after the final studio projects' presentation will be given the possibility to conduct internship experiences of minimum 8 weeks and free of charge, in the companies that are part of the BAU network.
Internship opportunities will be also available for the other participants upon request, availability and payment of a 300 € fee.
Certificate of attendance
At the end of each program enrolled students, who have attended at least 80% of the classes and successfully complete all required exams and projects, will receive a Certificate of attendance. An examination board composed of academicians and entrepreneurs will assess the final project presentation and award the student’s final certificate of attendance.
Deadline: Applicants, especially non european, are strongly suggested to complete the enrollment process at least 35 days before the beginning of the selected course.
Following documents are required:
- Enrollment form (available online within the applicant’s personal area)
- Passport or ID for EU students
- Motivation letter
- A copy of the applicant’s degree diploma
- University transcript
The selection is based on the assessment of CV, motivation letter and portfolio. Great attention is paid to the ability to work independently, manage a project conceptualization and actively participate in a highly innovative training experience. Enrollments are limited.
Once admitted, candidates will receive an admission and invitation letter. Every year BAU International Academy of Rome encourage students to apply for the partial grants available through BAU Foundation, when it is applicable, and promotes a number of total grants. For further information please visit the website and download the scholarship application form.
2500 €: accommodation included + 300 € deposit that will be refunded at the moment of check out
5000 €: accommodation included + 300 € euro deposit that will be refunded at the moment of check out
300 €: that will not be refunded in case of visa denial