Fashion Design Mini-Master
with Ilaria Venturini Fendi
Eco-Fashion and Sustainable Design
The Art of Re-use
Resilience is a strong trait of the "persona" of Rome. The eternity of Rome relies on the continuous re-use and re-adaptation of the past to accommodate ephemeral needs. It has always been challenging for Rome to deal with the immense and sometimes intrusive patrimony inherited from the Roman age, to the point to get stuck in a conservative position of immobilism.
But on the other hand, Rome is the Eternal City and has the attributes of being permanent and durable over the centuries. These traits come from the ability of the Romans to re-use, reconvert and accommodate the old materials, artifacts and buildings of the ancient city, built in-fact to stay forever, for the new needs required by the times. Function changes but the essence of Rome has been preserved by recycling and re-using rare materials and scarce resources.
From the Cosmati craftsmen - renowned during the 12th and 13th century for their ability to combine glass mosaic with the re-used precious marble of Roman columns, statues and buildings of the pagan age - up to Ilaria Venturini Fendi you can see a fil rouge holding together past, present and future of the Roman craftsmanship and converging into features of durability, uniqueness, innovation, creativity and continuous research, that are all attributes marking what is considered luxury and what is meant to be sustainable.
This Mini-Master program will give participants under the supervision of Ilaria Venturini Fendi and our team of dedicated experts of branding strategies, visual storytelling and viral marketing the opportunity to conduct an experimental application of all the latest key trends of sustainable design to a wide range of fashion areas that cover visual communication, accessories and interior design.
This program is ideal for entrepreneurs, stylists, visual experts and brand strategists that want to gain an in-depth understanding of the critical success factors of the Made in Italy fashion design.
Program Leader: Ilaria Venturini Fendi
Program Coordinator: Elisabetta Facco
Locations: BAU International Academy of Rome & Carmina Campus
With our program you will learn how to work on a fashion design project, by applying all the latest trends that nail what customers want now:
- LESS IS MORE. New fashion products need to be intuitive, with frills kept to a minimum
- IDENTITY. Consumers want fashion brands to have a point of view and feel they offer tailor-made products, experiences and scalable platforms that empower future users not just to consume goods, but to find solutions to their problems
- FOCUS ON SERVICE. People want max aestethics coupled with functionality and perceive that design is not just to make them buy, but to actually improve their overall experience
- WHAT’S OLD IS NEW AGAIN. Many fashion brands are recuperating their heritage and classic designs using faded labels, script lettering, shapes and materials that give off “vintage vibes”
- DESIGN FROM WITHIN. People are growingly aware that by buying what you offer, they are endorsing and participating of the success of your brand, so want to know everything about it, sources, materials, values, mission and vision of the founders, management practices, focus on the environment, etc.
- IDEATE, PROTOTYPE AND TEST A FASHION PRODUCT-BRAND (90hrs) under the supervision of Ilaria Venturini Fendi and her staff of dedicated designers
- Work on projects which integrate students from different disciplines
- Recognize and define the intersections and limits of different design-based disciplines
- Experience thinking, discussing and designing in different scales on requirements related to function, esthetics, and context
- Experience group work
- Produce working drawings of artifacts and work with new, unusual or innovative materials
- Learn how to design their own brand
- Study Italian language and explore Italian culture
Throughout the program, participants will have the possibility to choose and explore 3 electives out of the following modules:
- ART, FASHION & DESIGN (42hrs). From the idea to the product, the impact of art and the multiple layers of Rome and its eternity upon Italian fashion and design
- ITALIAN ENTREPRENEURSHIP & INNOVATION (42hrs). The critical success factors of the Made in Italy brand
- ITALIAN LUXURY BRANDS (42hrs). How Italians have faced the challenges posed by globalization and luxury massification
- COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES FOR FASHION (42hrs). The essentials of fashion writing, image and brand design, digital PR and social media management, new apps and metrics for successful trend-spotting and self branding
- VISUAL STORYTELLING (42hrs). How to use visuals to tell the story of your brand
The course includes conferences held by well-known professional of design field, visits to major material producers, showrooms, cultural events and companies.
- Introduction to the course, definition and explanation of the course objectives
- Discussions on design, projects and tasks allocation, group formation
- Branding trends, how to communicate your brand
- Ideation, related readings and research
- Ideation and project critiques related readings, researches and project sketches
- Ideation and project critiques related readings, researches and project sketches, communication campaign 1st draft
- Project critiques preparation for the jury production of scaled working drawings and prototypes, communication campaign 2nd draft
- Project critiques and preparation for the jury production of the scaled working drawings and prototypes, communication campaign test
- Project critiques, preparation for the final jury
- Production of the scaled working prototype, preparation for the final jury
- Pre-jury with final draft of prototypes and communication campaign
- Final jury presentations
Upon successful completion of this program participants will learn how to:
Apply professional knowledge to the fields of product, service and experience design development
Understanding, use, interpret and evaluate design concepts, knowledge and language in the fashion industry
Collect information, resources and materials in the discipline of fashion product design
Identify the problems of Made in Italy Product Design, evaluating the conditions and requirements of problems and proposing solutions
Develop appropriate solutions with the consideration of social, cultural, environmental, economic and humanistic values
Communicate design concepts and solutions through written, oral and visual methods
Identify and apply appropriate relations among materials, shapes and final use
Use computer aided information, visual aids and new media technologies for the expression and communication of the identified product design solutions
Use a foreign language to communicate their product and promote their own brand
An hands-on awareness of business life practices such as change management, entrepreneurship, innovation, and sustainable development
Design a complex system, process, device or product under realistic constraints and conditions, in such a way as to meet the desired result; apply modern design methods for this purpose (realistic constraints and conditions may include factors such as economic and environmental issues, sustainability, manufacturability, ethics, health, safety issues, and social and political issues, according to the nature of the design)
Program intakes and duration
3-month program, 250 contact hours
Possibility of 8-week internship upon successful completion of the program, free of charge for the 3 best candidates and available for the other participants upon request, availability and payment of a 300 € fee.
SPRING 13 March/2 June
SUMMER 5 June/11 August
*A shortest version of 120 hours in Fashion Design with Ilaria Venturini Fendi, is also available.
5-week program, 120 contact hours
SPRING 13 March up to 14 April
SUMMER 19 June up to 21 July
At the end of this program the 3 best qualified students after the final studio projects' presentation will be given the possibility to conduct internship experiences of minimum 8 weeks and free of charge, in the companies that are part of the BAU network.
Internship opportunities will be also available for the other participants upon request, availability and payment of a 300 € fee.
Certificate of attendance
At the end of each program enrolled students, who have attended at least 80% of the classes and successfully complete all required exams and projects, will receive a Certificate of attendance. An examination board composed of academicians and entrepreneurs will assess the final project presentation and award the student’s final certificate of attendance.
Deadline: Applicants, especially non european, are strongly suggested to complete the enrollment process at least 35 days before the beginning of the selected course.
Following documents are required:
- Enrollment form (available online within the applicant’s personal area)
- Passport or ID for EU students
- Motivation letter
- A copy of the applicant’s degree diploma
- University transcript
The selection is based on the assessment of CV, motivation letter and portfolio. Great attention is paid to the ability to work independently, manage a project conceptualization and actively participate in a highly innovative training experience. Enrollments are limited.
Once admitted, candidates will receive an admission and invitation letter. Every year BAU International Academy of Rome encourage students to apply for the partial grants available through BAU Foundation, when it is applicable, and promotes a number of total grants. For further information please visit the website and download the scholarship application form.
2500 €: accommodation included + 300 € deposit that will be refunded at the moment of check out
5000 €: accommodation included + 300 € euro deposit that will be refunded at the moment of check out
300 €: that will not be refunded in case of visa denial