Direct & Cross Examination in Legal Practice
The art of Cross Examination
Direct and Cross Examination is a legal course of the Criminal Law Intensive Training Programs Department coordinated by Prof. Dr. Feridun Yenisey, BAU Global Studies Director.
Whether you are a law student, a new lawyer or you want to improve your cross-examination skills, this workshop will help you develop or improve the most difficult trial skill to master: cross-examination.
During this course you will learn:
- The critical success factors to succeed at this professional skill, that is essential in any dispute resolution
- Direct vs cross examinations and the features of a leading question
- How to control run-away witnesses, develop facts helpful to your theory of the case, and the great don’ts of this legal practice
- Lines and stages of attack and how to organize a successful examination through the analysis of international case studies
The information provided in this course will be useful throughout your career and will provide you with the tools and confidence to skillfully question witnesses, taking in consideration theory and international practice.
- Demonstration of bad Cross Examination
- Discussion of why Cross Examiners lose control of the witness
- The art of Cross Examination
- Specific techniques to get and keep control of the witness
- Closing remarks and demonstration of good Cross Examination
Tailor your learning experience
Standard Direct and Cross Examination course requires 42 contact hours. It can be completed in short intensive formats of 2 - 4 weeks or in a 3-months term, combined with city and culture tours, languages and other legal courses, such as English for International Negotiations and Intellectual Property Law. The hands-on that will be held from the 20th to the 27th of July is a 20 contact hours workshop.
Contact us to know more about the scholarships available through the BAU Foundation and to learn how to tailor your studies.
- Minimum number of participants to activate the Certificate: 15 students
- Accommodation can be arranged upon request